About Store Forum Documentation Contact

[Solved] Water does not animate
rstralberg Offline

[Solved] Water does not animate
I have done a couple of scenes before without this trouble, but when making a terrain now and adding water it does not animate when running the program. I does animate (waves) in the editor and editor play. But not when I run my program. As I know its more or less impossible to know what's wrong without having the project I have made it available here

http://rstralberg.com/ee/rstralberg.EsenthelProject 93.6 MB
Removed as problem is solved
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2015 09:41 PM by rstralberg.)
05-16-2015 08:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
3DRaddict Offline

RE: Water does not animate
You have got this?

switch(Renderer())
{
case RM_WATER:
{

watermesh.draw();
Water.update(Vec2(0.000, 0.000));

}break;
}
05-16-2015 08:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rstralberg Offline

RE: Water does not animate
No. I didn't get that you had to do that.
In my previous tests I didn't need any switch( Renderer() ) at all and then it worked.

So when calling Renderer() you have to manually update and draw the different parts according to the return value (enum). That also explains why my clouds stopped working.

Thanks a lot grin
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2015 09:38 PM by rstralberg.)
05-16-2015 09:22 PM
3DRaddict Offline

RE: [Solved] Water does not animate
Glad you solved it.

What I showed you probably did not relate to your particular case... I had quickly pulled it out of some experimental water I was doing some time ago
05-16-2015 09:51 PM
rstralberg Offline

Yep, but gotme on right track. Both clouds and water works great now. So thanks again
05-16-2015 11:00 PM
RedOcktober Offline

what're ya workin' on Ro... if it's not top secret smile

--Mike
05-17-2015 12:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rstralberg Offline

Hi there Red smile
Top Secret ... absolutely not.

A little background.

During the last years (haha.. decade) I have been switching engines, switching teams,
switch games, switching 3D model program, switching Paint programs ... you name it.
My middle name could be "The Switcher". So what have come out of that ...

The answer is quite simple - ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

With this in mind I took a discussion with my self and asked "What in the f*** are you
doing, Roland???"
. After a 10 minute deep thinking I did come up with the answer...
"Dear Roland... I have been switching... EVERYTHING!!!". My better self
looked deeply into my eyes and then asked. "And what have you got out of that my friend?".

This remarkable discussion ended up in following.

- Linux has always been on my mind. Time to get into that.
In order to force my self into really learning Linux I removed Windows completely.
No dual boot.. just pure Linux.

- I'm a C++ programmer and I like to make code so a game engine with purely C++
running on Linux was a must. If you look around there are some few but in my mind
Esenthel is the one that is most complete and still quite small. I don't want one of those
heavy engines which are like starting Microsoft Office when you actually only need
NotePad++ to get your things going. Esenthel was an easy decision.

- Away goes those quite expensive 3D model programs. All replaced by Blender which
actually is really capable once you get into in. Blender runs great on Linux and is free,
and for Jesus Christ... This is a hobby, so a free tool will surely do the things I need.

- PhotoShop in all glory.. but GIMP does what's needed, at least for me. Simple tweaking
of textures and such things. Again ... Free as in Free.

- Sound and Music.. took a while but I found that Ardour works quite well in combination
with some other compatible plugins.

So this is what is my game development environment which I now promised my self to
stay with. If I cant make a thing with those tools I simply skip it.

So now to your question. What am I working on ?

Right now I'm learning Esenthel step by step, with some future needs in mind.
I try to make some notes and videos of that at my homepage (http://rstralberg.com)

Of course I have a little idea behind my ear for the future. Nothings really earth breaking
though. Once upon there were a game called Myst (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myst)
that I found quite interesting. My idea is to make a similar thing in small scale. A FPS
Click-And-Go thing
suitable for both PC and Mobile. But first... Learn Esenthel.
I'm in no hurry and take things slowly to get it right. Then when I feel comfortable with the
API and Pipeline I will start on that game which most probably will get the name
"The Light In The Wood".

There are not to much tutorials out there, but then we have the nice guys here answering
questions (3DRadict, Pixel Perfect, Zervox, Tottel and may others) so that will help a lot.

Thanks for asking smile
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2015 01:33 PM by rstralberg.)
05-17-2015 01:26 PM
RedOcktober Offline

hey... don't be so hard on yourself bro smile i think most of us here have been through pretty much the same thing... one game engine after another...

especially nowadays, when there are so many "free" engines to choose from...

and yes... it's downright scary how quickly those years do go by smile smile

i won't even tell you how long i've been pursuing this submarine sim of mine smile smile

NO LAUGHING OUT THERE!!!!

--Mike
05-17-2015 02:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
3DRaddict Offline

Quote:Once upon there were a game called Myst

Boy, does that bring back memories for me... my favourite series of all time!
Couldn't wait for each CD set to come out. grin

That would be super cool if you could produce something similar (how's your puzzle making abilities ? ) wink
05-17-2015 02:37 PM
rstralberg Offline

(05-17-2015 02:37 PM)3DRaddict Wrote:  
Quote:Once upon there were a game called Myst

[quote='3DRaddict' pid='51686' dateline='1431869853']
Boy, does that bring back memories for me... my favourite series of all time!
Couldn't wait for each CD set to come out. grin
Yeah.. Same here. Each time a new CD was played through, life was just a waiting for
the next one. Now when Myst soon is coming out as a TV-serie I hope to bee really annoyed
over waiting for next part each week. http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/7/693571...anion-game

(05-17-2015 02:37 PM)3DRaddict Wrote:  That would be super cool if you could produce something similar (how's your puzzle making abilities ? ) wink
Hahaha.. yeah.. That remains to see smile
05-17-2015 03:17 PM