About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Slow 2048x2048 Texture and Muddy texture after publish
SamNainocard Offline

Slow 2048x2048 Texture and Muddy texture after publish
Is it normal that 2048x2048 texture size are load very slow, and ~10 different objects using 2048x2048 texture cause to world load time to be about 1+ minute?
If I need to reduce a texture size, do I have to import them again? Because changing max image size (texture editor) seems to affect on publish only.

Another problem is, publishing with compression of any type or have a manually reduced texture max image size will make texture become muddy, especially terrain and can be seen with bumb mapping is set to relief.
Publish Settings are secured, compression LZ4 HC 9, simplify none, max texture size unlimited.

05-26-2015 07:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Slow 2048x2048 Texture and Muddy texture after publish
Hi,

If the texture has Alpha channel then it will be created with BC7 format which is supported only on DX11+.
If you run the game on DX10/DX9 then it will be unpacked to RGBA first.
If you need to use DX10/DX9 try using D.image_load_shrink to reduce the image size at load time.

For the 2nd problem, could you please attach a sample project with the issue reproduced?
05-26-2015 11:54 PM
SamNainocard Offline

D.image_load_shrink does load faster but also reduce all image size, perhaps I should remove Alpha Channel and re-import instead. Perhaps reduce to 1024 or less as I can't seem to notice the different.

And here is test project for muddy texture problem.

Source: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_eZbDc...sp=sharing

Published: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_eZbDc...sp=sharing
05-27-2015 05:55 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Thank you very much for reporting the issue smile I have found and fixed the bug, it will work ok in next release.

Are you not using a DX11 capable GPU for BC7 support? Yes if you don't see a difference between 2k and 1k texture then you should definitely reduce it.
05-27-2015 06:56 AM
SamNainocard Offline

It's DX11 capable and of course load faster than DX10/9.
By the way with a few D.image_load_shrink tweaks, I think I don't need to re-import them now. smile
05-27-2015 08:57 AM