About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Suggested addition to Documentation
3DRaddict Offline

Suggested addition to Documentation
For the first time I was trying out using an external IDE (Visual Studio 2013) to code a project. I followed the instructions in the official Documentation (Programming/External IDE/"Creating a New Project") All worked accordingly until I attempted to run my project from the IDE, whereupon I got a popup error message "Unable to find Bin/Engine.pak". I corrected this by manually adding a "Bin' folder to my project's executable folder, and copying the "Editor/Bin/Engine.pak" file to it. I then attempted to run my project again and this time I got a popup error message "Unable to find Bin/Project.pak". Now I was a bit frustrated because I was unable to find any "Project.pak" file. Eventually I noticed the "Project data" option in:

[Image: Esenthel%20Export%20Application.png]

and by selecting this I was able to finally create the "Project.pak" and run my project from the external IDE successfully.

@Esenthel
I do think that instructions to this effect should be added to the official Documentation (Programming/External IDE/"Creating a New Project"), as this would save newcomers from suffering the same frustrations as I did.
07-02-2015 09:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
3DRaddict Offline

RE: Suggested addition to Documentation
That's funny... I must have been doing something wrong yesterday?
I've just repeated it with a new test project, and all works as per documentation...there is now no need to add Bin/Engine.pak and Bin/Project.pak
I'd love to know what I was doing wrong yesterday?
07-04-2015 09:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
3DRaddict Offline

Now I'm really confused!
I tried the whole procedure again with a new test project...just to be doubly sure
And I ended up back to square one again:

[Image: externalIDE_2.jpg]

Please could someone check this out using a minimum project and following the exact instructions in the main Documentation (/Programming/External IDE/"Creating a New Project")
07-04-2015 11:20 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll add this at one point.

You might check the EE_PUBLISH constant in Auto.cpp, based on it, different paths are used. All of that is in EE_INIT in Auto.cpp
07-04-2015 11:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
3DRaddict Offline

Quote:You might check the EE_PUBLISH constant in Auto.cpp

Yes, that was the problem. It was set to TRUE. By manually setting it to FALSE the popups no longer appeared.

It thus appears that by selecting the 'Export/C++ Visual Studio 2013' option, the EE_PUBLISH constant is automatically set to TRUE, whereas it should be set to FALSE.
07-05-2015 09:34 AM