About Store Forum Documentation Contact

ZERO GAME
Tottel Offline

RE: ZERO GAME
Ouch. grin

No but really, was there anything that you felt too complicated, or not done well?
I'm always open to feedback. smile
10-06-2015 05:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rstralberg Offline

(10-06-2015 05:46 PM)Tottel Wrote:  Ouch. grin

No but really, was there anything that you felt too complicated, or not done well?
I'm always open to feedback. smile

Hi Tottel.

In fact I think your design is great and is a wonderful way to get things going in a new project. My problem was absolutely not related to your software which is very well done.

Now in my case I would have to break up to much of the code I already had done to implement VES. I simply discovered VES to late into my coding, but I don't regret buying it.

Edit: LATER ......

I came into some difficulties in my own code today/tonight that VES actually handles great. Maybe its worth integrating anyway, although I have to break some part of what I already have done, as fixing events for what I'm missing may take as long as implementing VES that already handles that. Yeah...might be worth trying. Sorry for being a bit scatterbrained about this, had forgot the difficulties in my own code while away. There were more to add than I remembered.

One thing I have to fix is the GameCamera that VS uses. In my project I have my own camera inside the player.

I give it a try on a copy of my project.
Will let you know how it goes.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2015 09:56 PM by rstralberg.)
10-06-2015 07:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tottel Offline

Great to hear, thank you. smile

Make sure you are using the latest version of VES (v. 5). It has a lot of improvements, more examples and I removed some things that were not so cleanly programmed. You should have 2 example worlds.
10-07-2015 11:20 AM
rstralberg Offline

A little update. SUCCESS lol

I don't know what I did wrong at my first attempt, but the second attempt to integrate Visual Event System (v. 5) went quite smoothly. No everything works with VES integrated and the good thing is that I coexist with my current code. I had to make two things to get it running in my project. First of all I had a custom camera, so what I did was to simply replace the GameCamera with my own implementation. Secondly I removed the Ms.eat(0) in Interact:update() as I was depending on left mouse clicks in my project. After that all works as before. I have not tested more that some simple objects still, but if one works I think all of them will. Great tool you made there Tottel. Highly recommended
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2015 10:08 AM by rstralberg.)
10-08-2015 07:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

Good to see you back again Roland. Look forward to more updates smile
10-09-2015 10:08 AM
rstralberg Offline

I have now got most of my codebase done.

One thing I have changed is the "Click-To-Go" functionality. It works quite great on clean areas but gives quite much trouble inside caves or building, not to talk about walking trough wood areas like the one here.

Either you will end up in some unpredictable rotate around state or going kind of weird paths to get where you aim to go. So I have gone back to the normal WASD keying for walking. Else things are done as planned. Now I will spend a bit time in Modo and 3DCoat to get some content to play around with.
10-18-2015 01:59 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Sounds great. Looking forward to seeing some more once you're happy you have the content. Nice scene btw smile

Not sure what the path finding issues you experienced were, certainly sounds like something was going a little wrong there! I'm wondering if the resolution on the nav-map was set a bit low forcing paths to take routes through less densely populated areas or failing to find a path. I've not really played around with the Esenthel navigation as I'm using an external navigation system.
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2015 11:19 AM by Pixel Perfect.)
10-19-2015 10:29 AM
rstralberg Offline

Here is a little update. I have retired from my work as programmer at Dec 22'nd. The months before that (this autumn) has been really full of work finishing up things at work in order to leave a 'clean desk'. During that time my project has been in 'idle' state, but it will be reactivated after the New Year weekend. The few hours of free time I had during those months I have spent learning Blender and also looking into some alternative engines. What! you may say... alternative engines.. why? this is so good. Yes it is and it did hold the test, I will continue using Esenthel. I looked into Leadwerks 4, Unreal Engine 4 and Unity 5.2 as I did have some knowledge on them since before. My conclusion was that Unreal and Unity was TO much for a one man show. They are simply to complicated for a one man show. Left was Esenthel and Leadwerks which are more suitable for my needs. Leadwerks didn't support mobile phones, GUI and some other things. Besides that I can't see where its going. So in the end Esenthel still is the best choice for me and probably for you if you are a one man or small team. Great!. Just wanted to check that I was on the right way there smile

Right now I'm working with making assets using Blender, xNormal and MeshLab. Takes some time to get into that but its getting better and better. Here is an example of a Rock I did in Blender. 600 tri's with color, normal and spec maps.

Here in Blender

Here in Esenthel

Will spend the next coming weeks making assets and then will see what I can come up with. I'm trying to get a cartoony style but still with some realistic touch. The rocks I made in this scene describes what I mean. They look quite realistic but a bit cartoony at the same time.

Cheers
Roland
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2015 12:06 AM by rstralberg.)
12-28-2015 09:09 PM
3DRaddict Offline

Very nice!

Welcome to the Retirement Zone, Roland... a time in our lives when we can do as we please when we please (maybe within some applied boundary conditions, of course) lol
12-29-2015 05:46 AM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Congratulations on your retirement Roland and a new chapter in your life! You've done a great job those rocks ... very impressive. Love the ground texture too!
12-29-2015 09:36 AM
Tottel Offline

It's amazing to see you (and others like 3DRaddict) still have so much passion for making games, even after retirement. smile
I wish you maaaany more years of game-developing-joy! And I sure wish I will be the same, 40 years from now!
12-29-2015 09:42 AM
rstralberg Offline

Thanks all you guys for your kind comments smile
Regarding the ground texture. This summer I just took a picture of my ground outside the house using my phone and then used Gimp to make a tiled version
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2015 12:22 PM by rstralberg.)
12-29-2015 12:16 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

(12-29-2015 12:16 PM)rstralberg Wrote:  ...
Regarding the ground texture. This summer I just took a picture of my ground outside the house using my phone and then used Gimp to make a tiled version

Thanks for the feedback Roland. I have to say most of my best ground textures have been homemade from photos, I do think you get realistic results from these!

I'll be 60 in another few years and hoping to join you and 3DRaddict in retirement. With the current economic and financial uncertainties one can never be certain but ... all being well wink
12-29-2015 12:57 PM
rstralberg Offline

Been away from Game Development for a while (Much to do before my retirement from work in January, Mother died i February and some other stuff). But now I'm back to continue where I left off.

The title will be changed to Reise as I have a new idea for the game story. It will loosely follow the story of the German Bell (Die Glocke) which you can find here

The Reise is a part in that story. Another change is that it will now be a third person thing instead for First person
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2016 08:38 PM by rstralberg.)
04-17-2016 08:31 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Good to have you back smile
04-18-2016 01:20 PM