About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Android: class not found javac1.8
para Offline

Android: class not found javac1.8
When building for android platform I get the following error:
class not found: javac1.8

I first tried with JDK 1.7.0_67, then I installed the latest JDK 1.8.0_51 and checked all the environment variables (PATH, JAVA_HOME, etc)..

also:
android-ndk-r10e and android-sdk setup as descriped in the docs .. if it matters

Any ideas?

-edit:
changed the PATH and JAVA_HOME system env variables back to 1.7.0 and it now works.. could have sworn it was correctly set before I started messing about..

-edit2:
Was too quick to celebrate...
the 1.7.0_67 JDK seems to work in the steam version of EE which I downloaded last sunday.
the standalone version which I downloaded a couple of months ago as demo, and have updated it yesterday after I bought a license, doesn't work, it gives the same "class not found: javac1.8" error.

the paths in both installations point to exactly the same folders.. ??
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2015 12:06 PM by para.)
07-29-2015 10:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
para Offline

RE: [partialy solved] Android: class not found javac1.8
To re-cap:

I'm running two installations of EE - steam and standalone both are reporting:
engine build: 38
editor build: 36

Both have EXACTLY the same android and JDK paths set inside the editor.
(JDK 1.7.0_67)

The steam version builds without errors, standalone stops with class not found: javac1.8
07-31-2015 12:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Android: class not found javac1.8
Could you try rebuilding your project after you've set the paths?
07-31-2015 08:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
para Offline

I did Clean All and Rebuild every time I tried to change something. Tried again now, and I also restarted the editor and computer a few times. Still the same problem, the steam version works while the standalone gives errors. The paths are 100% the same.(I asked another person to double check for me if there's any typos/difference)

Hm, in the build log there's a warning at the beginning "unable to locate tools.jar", it tries to locate it in the JRE folder not JDK where it is, then the build process continues until it tries to compile java. The steam installation doesn't have this warning but the rest of the log is the exactly the same.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2015 10:55 PM by para.)
07-31-2015 10:05 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Can you try uninstalling all Java SE/DK versions that you have.
And make a clean install of JDK 7?
http://www.esenthel.com/?id=doc#Compilers

Android does not support newer versions.
07-31-2015 11:13 PM
para Offline

Removing JRE solved the javac1.8 not found, now it tries looking for tools.jar in the right folder.. installing JRE again causes the same problem for the non-steam EE only, steam EE works in all cases (with JRE installed or not, 7 or 8) .. isn't this strange?

Do you also have JRE installed, if so, which version? A couple of websites and apps I use on rare occasions require JRE, so I'd rather make this work properly..
08-01-2015 12:47 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

If I remember correctly I have installed only JDK 7 and there was an option to install JRE from within the JDK installer.
08-01-2015 01:53 AM