About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Shader Experimenting (includes source)
georgatos7 Offline

Shader Experimenting (includes source)
Hey there, it's been some time since i was experimenting with some custom post process shader effects. In most cases when i was feeling that any further fine-tuning should have been project related i was simply moving to try the next effect.
That happened a while back and since in the end i didn't get to actually use any of them in an actual project i thought of giving away the source just in case someone might find this useful.

Keep in mind that even though you can use the compiled shader binaries as they are, in order to further customize the effects, you'll need to change the shader source that is included and then compile it again by using the Esenthel shader header files that are provided with the Esenthel Source License.

Radial Exponential Chromatic Aberration / Color Correction with Lookup Tables
[Image: CAn_CC.png]

The Chromatic Aberration enhances the realism of a scene by creating the illusion of real life lens imperfections at the far edges of the screen.

The Color Correction serves the purpose of instantly changing the mood of the whole scene by affecting parameters such as exposure, saturation, tint, tones, etc without the need to go and change each texture individually.
This effect is based on the method described in this link and even uses the same texture as the lookup table.
More info on how to use an image editing program to edit the original LUT to achieve your own color correction can be found in this video tutorial.

CA and CC Project and Source Link

Glow with Dirt Mask
[Image: Glow_Dirt.png]

This effect creates a smooth gradient glow that can vary from subtle to very intense and can also apply an optional dirt mask. It uses the RGBD color encoding/decoding that makes use of the Alpha channel along with the RGB channels to fake a wider range of color values other than the standard 256 in order to create a smooth color gradient that is simply impossible to create otherwise.

The generic method used is a 5 stages Downsample/Blur procedure similar to this to create 5 different layers that are added together in the final step. Several other variations of the method were also tried but with less visually appealing results.

The link to the Glow Project and Source will be up in a couple of days after i cleanup the code and add a few comments to make it a bit more readable. After that a few more possibly useful or just fun/experimental projects will follow.

Glow Project and Source Link
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2016 06:17 AM by georgatos7.)
03-23-2016 03:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tottel Offline

RE: Shader Experimenting (includes source)
That's very cool! Thank you for sharing, I will definitely check this out. smile
03-23-2016 08:49 AM
RedcrowProd Offline

pretty awesome, i will have a pick when i get time this weekend wink

so when you say this

Keep in mind that even though you can use the compiled shader binaries as they are, in order to further customize the effects, you'll need to change the shader source that is included and then compile it again by using the Esenthel shader header files that are provided with the Esenthel Source License.

if someone build the shader, we can use it, but else you need source to edit/create a shader yourself right ? and you can import the shader to another project ?

i'm still a little confused of how to do it in EE, since it changed a couple times. i hope that the shader tool will make it before i need to use it but i might just end up buying source if i need to pfft
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2016 04:06 PM by RedcrowProd.)
03-23-2016 04:05 PM
georgatos7 Offline

(03-23-2016 04:05 PM)RedcrowProd Wrote:  If someone build the shader, we can use it, but else you need source to edit/create a shader yourself right ? and you can import the shader to another project ?

Yeah, as far as i know this is how it is. If you got the compiled shader binary and you know all the necessary variable and technique names that the shader is using, you can just copy the shader binary in a specific folder in your project under "...Game/Shader..." and then load the shader in Esenthel set the appropriate variables, call the techniques etc and of course you can use the same shader bins in different projects without the need to recompile them from the source, but as you said if you change the shader source you need to recompile it and for that you need the shader headers.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2016 01:56 AM by georgatos7.)
03-23-2016 09:39 PM
georgatos7 Offline

Hey, the project files and the source for the glow post process are up. It's very customizable since almost all the shader parameters are exposed to the editor.

Hope you enjoy, next will possibly be an extended edition with dynamic lens streaks and lens flares.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2016 11:37 PM by georgatos7.)
03-27-2016 11:32 PM