About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Esenthel Engine is now FREE!
Harry Offline

RE: Esenthel Engine is now FREE!
Hi Grzegorz,

As Houge said I also think it is good and bad news. But this is more personal feeling.

When I joined to the community in 2008 I was completely newbie programmer with a dream to make my own game. If I remember correctly initially we're speaking in Polish and you answered for my every little question how to start with anything. Thanks for being patient at that time. Thanks to Esenthel Engine I've learned the basics of C++ and started creating Forest Valley.

When I started college I was getting more curious what is behind the game engine, how it is working and so on what leads me to start writing my own engine which was highly inspired by Esenthel Engine. I treat as a hobby but it is still evolving. Development of EE and you were my motivation to make it better and better, to get closer to you. I was always thinking how something was done in Esenthel and if there is any chance to make it better than you smile I did not want a license just to see the source code. It would be to easy.

Now I feel that some of the stage of my life has ended. Everything is public and there are no mysteries how this wonderful engine works. I checked the sources a little bit and they confirm what I always thought - you write a really good and clean code. I think that during my work with EE I've learned many good practices and I appreciate that.

I hope you will not stop the development of the engine and will be still my motivation smile I'm also looking forward to World of Esenthel.

Sorry if that was too long but I think it is a good moment to share this with you to know that Esenthel Engine is an important part of somebody's life smile

P.S. I'm also glad that everything goes so well in personal life.

P.P.S. I see now that my account is older than yours grin
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2019 08:40 PM by Harry.)
03-24-2019 08:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Haha, thanks a lot Harry, really enjoyed reading your message and I'm happy you had some benefit from using the engine. Thank you for the kind words, and good luck with your own projects smile
03-25-2019 09:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tottel Offline

Harry is absolutely right; I hope you know what an impact you had, Greg! grin

I mean.. I make games for a living now! How crazy is that? Esenthel played a big role in this, allowing me to get into programming and game development. And once you start, you really can't go back and do anything else any more. grin

Also: Nice desk! :O
03-25-2019 10:05 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Thanks Tottel smile
03-26-2019 01:18 AM
Rofar Offline

I kind of waited for the responses to this to roll in before I commented because I wasn't really sure how to comment. In a way it's a little sad that the subscription rate was not sufficient to keep it as a paid license but at the same time, you can relinquish some of the responsibility of having to serve customers so that might be a good thing.

I have been around here since the early days and among the many engines I have used over the years, this is still my favorite to work with.

Thanks for all the work you put into this Greg.

I need to find some time in my schedule to resurrect my old Esenthel project now.

Best of luck with your game and your upcoming venture into fatherhood!
03-26-2019 10:24 PM
Fex Offline
Gold Supporter

Congrats Greg!

My EE game was derailed by RL (getting a wife, having kids, having a real job).

Still once every few months I would check in here, because I have always had in the back of my mind I would continue my hobby project "once I got the time".

I feel like 10? ish years have passed since I started with EE 1.0. My god my kids ride the bus to school! What the hell happened?

I just want to say your engine wasn't the first I used (OGRE, PowerRender, NeoAxis) but EE was the most impressive, I could not believe EE (made by one guy) had paged terrain and geometry, when I saw the OGRE community (even Sinbad had a try and gave up) struggling to get a real-time paged, deform-able terrain plugin working. And here you did it, by yourself, ten years ago!

If you can apply the term "savant" to programmers/software architects you definitely qualify.

Thanks a ton not just for the great tech that is EE, but the inspiration it has provided me over the years knowing that it was built by one man.
04-22-2019 05:34 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Many thanks for your kind words and support smile
04-23-2019 01:11 AM
Lancer Offline

Why is the steam version still "free to try" .
Most of the negative ratings are all about the demo version.
03-13-2020 04:55 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I haven't updated Steam edition in a long time.
03-14-2020 03:18 AM