About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Some requests (auto map materials, comment lines in editor, animation retargeting)
Fyttyn Offline

Some requests (auto map materials, comment lines in editor, animation retargeting)
Sorry if I'm not supposed to put a bunch of requests in the same post. I didn't want to make too many threads at once. These are just some features that I believe would be uhh.. convenient to have. In order of what I think is the least difficulty of implementing them.

* Comment/Uncomment lines shortcut in the code editor. I love the code editor. It's just missing this feature I think.

* A toggle to invert the smoothness map. Just like the toggle available for inverting normal maps. Sometimes I have a roughness map instead of smoothness. Would be convenient so I don't have to manually do it.

* Auto mapping materials. Improved creation of materials from images. Where it tries to group the textures by the file name ending, like "_D/albedo/diff/col" , "bump/height/disp" or "_N/norm/nrm" , "smooth" , "spec" , "roughness" , "ao" , "emiss" , "metall" , "alpha/mask" , "gloss" and then detect by the initial portion of the name which textures are a set. No other engine to my knowledge does this... so this would be awesome if Esenthel could do it. So like.. Barrel1_albedo, Barrel1_normal, Barrel1_roughness, Barrel2_diff, Barrel2_nrm, etc. would generate the Barrel1, Barrel2, etc. materials.

* Retargeting animations. This one seems the hardest.. idk. Like being able to reuse animations on one rig with another one. So I don't have to repeat making left/right hand grip animations or walk/run cycles for different characters when their rigs don't match.

* Auto fix seams when generating terrains through code. I'm not entirely sure how hard this is. When I generate terrains, the seams between areas don't automatically get fixed unless I paint over the terrains to get them to refresh I think?
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2020 04:41 AM by Fyttyn.)
01-17-2020 04:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Online
Administrator

RE: Some requests (auto map materials, comment lines in editor, animation retargeting)
Quote:* A toggle to invert the smoothness map. Just like the toggle available for inverting normal maps. Sometimes I have a roughness map instead of smoothness. Would be convenient so I don't have to manually do it.
You can append the "?inverseRGB" to the image file name.

Quote:* Retargeting animations. This one seems the hardest.. idk. Like being able to reuse animations on one rig with another one. So I don't have to repeat making left/right hand grip animations or walk/run cycles for different characters when their rigs don't match.
The animations can play on multiple skeletons if editor detects the proper bone type (like upper leg/lower leg,arm, etc.) but it's not perfect. It doesn't do any adjustments for scale, bone lengths, etc. You could try doing that manually in code.

Quote:* Auto fix seams when generating terrains through code. I'm not entirely sure how hard this is. When I generate terrains, the seams between areas don't automatically get fixed unless I paint over the terrains to get them to refresh I think?
If you're setting terrain through code, then just make sure that you set correct values, matching the neighbor areas.
01-17-2020 06:28 AM
Fyttyn Offline

RE: Some requests (auto map materials, comment lines in editor, animation retargeting)
(01-17-2020 06:28 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  snip

ok. Thanks for the fast response!
The engine is great.. I just don't know how to use it properly yet lol
01-17-2020 06:52 PM