About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Script editor won't sync with Visual Studio
Ioannis Offline

Script editor won't sync with Visual Studio
New user here, trying the engine for the first time and I'm really impressed. I've been trying to setup VS 2019 as external IDE. I followed the instructions on this page https://esenthel.com/site/docs/External%20IDE.php and it seems to be working fine. The problem is that the scripts in the editor don't get updated. That means that any scripts tweaks done in VS won't show up in the Esenthel's script editor. As you can imagine that makes it quite unusuable. What am I doing wrong?
03-29-2020 11:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Houge Offline

RE: Script editor won't sync with Visual Studio
That's the main idea behind it. You need to choose where to edit code, in EE editor or in external editor (VS in your case). If you choose VS, you won't be able to edit code in EE anymore.
But you still will be able to edit all game assets in EE.

It's not Unity with its scripts, the workflow is completely different, that may be confusing at the beginning.
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2020 02:13 AM by Houge.)
03-30-2020 02:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RedcrowProd Offline

Well you dont have to choose right away, but once you start using VS there is no going back to EE for code editing, and its kinda the good point of Esenthel engine, at least for me its something i enjoy.
03-30-2020 03:02 AM
Ioannis Offline

Oh, I see! Well, in that case, I think I'll stick with the dedicated editor. That generates another question though. Given that I can't find the physical dir of the scripts or assets how can someone make let's say an svn repo as a project backup or for working on multiple PC's? (Noticed the project share capabilities but that's a different thing I believe, right?).

Not a big fan of Unity's workflow Houge so very glad it's nothing like it smile My only complaint so far is that the code could take a serious readability pass. Other than that the workflow is awesome!
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2020 06:03 PM by Ioannis.)
03-30-2020 07:20 AM
RedcrowProd Offline

The way EE works is once you import any assets or create assets (code as well) it will generate a UID automatically, then this random uid is converted to a filename (uid.asfilename()). This allows to have unique id even with multiple assets of the same base/path.
It works the same when you create a project you can see under your engine folder you will have your project file named that looks like hdjrbrjaksh_he6.
One of the great thing is using UID then you can move assets without having to change path related.
It is hard to read file this way if you just want one selected file, best is to right click property and you fill find the uid and name there i believe
Hope it helps smile
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2020 08:16 PM by RedcrowProd.)
03-30-2020 07:04 PM
Ioannis Offline

Very insightful information thank you very much!
03-30-2020 09:07 PM
RedcrowProd Offline

Talking about svn i forgot to mention there is an option to export code for svn and import as well
https://www.esenthel.com/?id=doc#Synchronizing_Codes
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2020 10:08 PM by RedcrowProd.)
03-30-2020 10:06 PM
Ioannis Offline

Oh, that's great thank you!
03-30-2020 11:21 PM