About Store Forum Documentation Contact

LightMapping
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Re: LightMapping
afecelis Wrote:ps. Have you considered a SVN repository?
yes I did, but I just prefer to upload the whole SDK, it is better this way for various reasons.
01-23-2009 12:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
skumar Offline

Any way you should atleast name the archive file as...EsenthelSDK35.5 etc...let the inner folder names be unchanged.....

Last day i got into some funny trouble...i loaded the example from new version and compiled...it gave a load of error saying that its undefined.....

Then ...i got the fact that the lib and the headers using were frm previous version..... :(

You are updating it so....fast....so we cant even name the files on our harddrive grin
01-23-2009 01:15 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

ok I've updated the codes (they will be available in the next release) both b3d files now import (temple and sewer) correctly

the problem is that B3D format doesn't explictly specify if one of the 2 textures on a mesh is a lightmap or a color map, and I need that information, so I have to make a guess.

thats why I've set guessing from texture file name, if one of the texture's name is more similar to "lightmap" then I guess that the texture is the lightmap and the other is the color map, this isn't perfect but that's the only solution I've thought of
01-23-2009 04:19 PM
skumar Offline

Good update....

Why should Esenthel guess :shock:

The texture that is going into the second texture channel is the lightmap, which is mapped according to the second set of texture coordinates...

Irrlicht and others are doing..i think so....
01-23-2009 04:59 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

the problem is that's not always the case, in the the Sewer sample made by Gandaldf <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gandaldf.com/tutorials.html?go=sewer">http://www.gandaldf.com/tutorials.html?go=sewer</a><!-- m --> (which I was originaly working on) the lightmap is in 1st texture slot and texture coordinates, and the diffuse maps are in the 2nd
01-23-2009 05:08 PM
afecelis Offline

ahhh, great to know you found that out! And yup, I guess what you need is different b3d files to test out. I guess it was good to have a different one from Gandaldf's to see the difference.
When exporting from Giles to b3d, it usually calls it "Default Lightmap", so your method of selecting the channel by detecting this word is cool. I'll try to find some more info on b3d file specs+lightmaps. Another commonly used naming convention for lightmaps is adding _LM to the textures name (i.e. temple_lm) ;-)

Is this ready for testing purposes in the same download? Or will it be in 35.5?

regards,
Alvaro
01-23-2009 07:04 PM
skumar Offline

Sorry for my ignorance...i was saying about the b3d pipeline of 3ds max

Its uses lightmap in channel two....

Logically or ethically it should be in channel 2 no??? :roll: :roll:

So for compatibility reasons ....look for the names....

a "_lm" may suffice think

Or can we make any difference between gandalf b3d file and b3dpipeline file...?
01-23-2009 07:58 PM
afecelis Offline

I'll drop Gandaldf a line and ask him why he's using channel one for the lightmap and if it's possible to fix this in his exporter. As you mention Skumar, lightmaps usually use the second channel, the default one is for diffuse texture information. Though I'm not sure if he's working on his b3d exporter anymore :?

But it's a good point the one you mention, about a way determine/detect whether the lightmap info is on channel 1 or 2, depending on the tools you used to create the b3d model.

regards,

Alvaro
01-23-2009 08:56 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

afecelis Wrote:Is this ready for testing purposes in the same download? Or will it be in 35.5?
It will be in the next version, probably tomorrow smile
01-23-2009 09:10 PM
skumar Offline

May i ask you one thing.....

Is it necessary to know which is lightmap??

When both the maps are blended either way the results will be same no?

Let channel one or two load lightmap...just blend it and given the final tex......

One problem i see is your material representation...i dont know too much about that....

just my suggestion
01-24-2009 04:19 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

if you do only a simple blending then its enough, but I use more advanced lighting system, which allows for additional dynamic lights applied on already generated lightmaps
When applying dynamic lights there must be a difference between diffuse and lightmap
01-24-2009 11:35 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

updated version has just been uploaded (yes, under the standard link smile )
01-24-2009 02:41 PM
skumar Offline

Ah...I have stopped downloading this engine versions....

The developer is too speedy... :x I cant keep pace with that....

When i learn basics of this engine....he will reach some 100.x version....
01-24-2009 06:19 PM