About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Making money
ghreef Offline

Making money
Title says it all. Does anyone have insight on how they plan to use EE to actually make some loot?

For instance, my long term goal would be to launch an mmo, but I'm being realistic here and I can't do that alone. So, my 5 year roadmap is to launch an mmo (or mo). Working back - my 3 year is to provide a pilot game that I can use to attract VC funding for said mmo. Before that, I'd like to have some type of game that creates some seeding money for this whole project. While I've created a number of flash games that create income on facebook, I'm starting to wonder what EE can do to provide some online gaming experience that is not a full mmo but will create some income.

Anyone willing to share their approach to this topic/game development challenge?
09-25-2010 01:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Yurci Offline

RE: Making money
It's several way's to earn some money by EE in MMO. for example:

1. special items
2. Loot, Exp boosters (by special items)
3. Payment for playing on server
4. Donate (grin)

Be creative.

C'ya smile
09-25-2010 02:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ghreef Offline

Yurci,

Thanks for the reply, but that's not what I'm asking at all.

I know the methods to gain income off an mmo. I want to know what people's approach are to creating games that are not mmos but still generate income for the developer. I'm guessing it's tough to create a pc non-networked game that people will buy these days.
09-25-2010 02:46 PM
MrPi Offline

It's not the engine with which you will make any money. Don't get me wrong, great tools are helping, but ultimately it's your product that will or will not gain you any profit. With games, though, it's not like you can do all this yourself, especially with MMOs. You have to spend a whole lot of money to create a decent game. So it's always the challenge to find you any funding for it or you are one of those lucky ones who have a ton of cash laying under their pillow. wink

Either way, making a full game is an investment, a risky one. I believe many here are still in the process of getting started, either by learning and creating some sort of prototype or by heavily watching out for investors.
09-25-2010 03:29 PM
Yurci Offline

Um... sorry, i'm non-english user. ;D ... What a fail... >.>
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2010 03:31 PM by Yurci.)
09-25-2010 03:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ghreef Offline

Yurci- no problem. I give anyone that knows multiple languages lots of credit. Especially when reading and writing.

Duplex - I hear ya. I'm no battle scarred veteran, but I'm also not new in this space either. Perhaps I should have based my question on any ge engine, but since this is an EE forum.... As for game development, there are successful indie teams out there. MoM being one that comes to mind. But, I'm not totally focused on mmos so don't get fixated there. I'd just like to see if anyone is really approaching the game dev process with little upfront money but still focused on making positive income based on player "sales" someway or another.
09-25-2010 04:08 PM
runewake2 Offline

gamejolt is a good host site. You make money from hosting things and people clicking on adds. Granted it's not much but it's something.

gamejolt.com.
10-21-2010 03:32 PM
dominoe Offline

ghreef, tons of ways to turn esenthel into cash, for example jumping on the fad bandwagon and making a clone of a pc game for smartphones - there's still plenty of opportunity out there for that.

as far as an mmo is concerned, look up Tibia. Done by four highschoolers in the late 90's and now its a multi-million dollar game, and they didnt have the luxurious suite of tools that esenthel provides.

as far as semi-online, check out Minecraft. Two or three person team, just about the release the 'beta' version of their software, but have already grossed $1mil+ from the alpha.

As for my own projects, I'm working in a team to make an MMO (like everyone else here) but my side project is attempting to make Capitalism 3, as I loved the second, and the market has no games like it out there. Not sure if Esenthel is the engine for that one though.

Sky's the limit, so they say. A bit of advice tho, I'd plan to incorporate some-sort of online bit, otherwise people will rip off your game.
12-20-2010 01:38 PM
runewake2 Offline

Additionally you could try some freelance stuff at elance or guro. They always seem to be in need of a programmer for games/apps.

If you have an original idea (minecraft) and the internet likes it you will make money. That is what happened with minecraft and what will happen to your game. The idea is what makes you the money.
12-20-2010 06:24 PM
baphomeh Offline

i am in the same boat as you.. been working on my mmo for a long time.. what i will most likely do is release a smaller multiplayer online fps for pc and iOS (sell for say 15 dollars?) and use that to either attract investors or earn development cash.

there are all sorts of iOS apps that can be made with esenthel.. not just games...
01-28-2011 03:59 PM
Zervox Offline

(12-20-2010 06:24 PM)runewake2 Wrote:  If you have an original idea (minecraft) and the internet likes it you will make money. That is what happened with minecraft and what will happen to your game. The idea is what makes you the money.

Since when did minecraft become original with thoughts of it being a direct copy of the infiminer?
01-28-2011 09:03 PM
runewake2 Offline

(01-28-2011 09:03 PM)Zervox Wrote:  
(12-20-2010 06:24 PM)runewake2 Wrote:  If you have an original idea (minecraft) and the internet likes it you will make money. That is what happened with minecraft and what will happen to your game. The idea is what makes you the money.

Since when did minecraft become original with thoughts of it being a direct copy of the infiminer?

I did not know about Infiniminer until you just mentioned it. I maintain what I said though. Look at concepts like DotA. You have plenty of games starting out (LOL, HON, DotA2) all based on the original. If you come up with the next DotA then you have a good chance of making money.

What it boils down to though (In my opinion at least) is how you market your game. A great game that nobody knows about is not going to do good. You will need to invest in advertising and get the word out about your game if you want people to play it. You can't just upload something and expect people to play it.
01-30-2011 01:06 AM
Tobbo Offline

Very true Runewake2. Marketing plays a huge role in getting the word out there in this very saturated market. Lucky for us in this point in time we have social media, Facebook, YouTube, etc. to help us out. I think the biggest marketing MineCraft got was simple 'word of mouth' advertising. (It can backfire)

The game doesn't necessarily have to have multiplayer functionality. Although, we all like to play with friends, so it couldn't hurt to add some multiplayer functionality even if it's just simple Co-Op.

Honestly though, I would try and do something different and not make a me-too game. As independent developers we should be the ones that try new things out in the industry and take more risks.

Leave it to the big companies to pour out all of their money making me-too follow titles.
You also have to realize that, even though you are independent you are still competing against AAA game companies.

So why not try and make something unique and simply fun?

If people think it's fun, it will sell.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2011 05:00 AM by Tobbo.)
09-14-2011 04:51 AM