About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Attr-X (First beta available now!)
ID0 Offline

RE: Attr-X (First beta available now!)
Very nice and tripy wink But i'm not understand what to do with that balls? Аnd what's the point?... smile
01-05-2011 01:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
llynx Offline

(01-05-2011 01:45 AM)ID0 Wrote:  Very nice and tripy wink But i'm not understand what to do with that balls? Аnd what's the point?... smile

You can move them around, edit them, set up paths, experiment with different balls and different paths and the different sounds they can make when moving around your character simultaneously grin Have to admit this is a very cool concept grin
01-05-2011 02:17 AM
yvanvds Offline

That's about it, yes :-)

In a later stage you would also be able to use your own sounds, or stream things from the internet perhaps. Also i am working on a DSP module which would enable the player to create sounds from scratch. And I'm still dreaming of an MMO version where you can listen to what other people are doing, or work together on something.

But it's good you mention this, there's not really a 'gaming goal'. I'm in doubt for weeks now, whereas I should try to make this available for free, or sell it online as a low budget game. I'm afraid most people won't like it that much because of the lack of 'a point'. But on the other hand, there's a lot of people on this planet :-)
01-05-2011 02:44 AM
ID0 Offline

Well, good luck to you, in any case this is very nice project smile
01-05-2011 03:25 AM
llynx Offline

Just throwing an idea out there for "objectives", how about have a sound or rhythm or song that the player has to achieve.

Of course nothing too complicated, say if there is a crescendo in a song or something, the player would have to accurately (with in reason) mimic the sound by making the soundball with the respective "instrument" pass the player at a certain velocity, and once all of the balls are set in patterns that accurately mimic the song then then the player can move on to say, more difficult songs.

More difficult songs would require the player to move around a map of moving soundballs in order to complete the song grin

Don't know if you're interested but this would be quite interesting if implemented, first of it's kind I believe (relatively) grin
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2011 05:31 AM by llynx.)
01-05-2011 05:28 AM
Driklyn Offline

I managed to crash it twice within the first 5 minutes... and now I'm stuck in that giant green well and can't get out. The sound seems interesting though.
01-05-2011 08:48 AM
ID0 Offline

I want to say, what daylight is too bright:
[Image: image_4d2436d792efa.jpg]
01-05-2011 10:15 AM
yvanvds Offline

Hey Driklyn. If you're stuck somewhere, you can press Left CTRL + R. It will transport you to a safe place. Any idea what causes the crashes? I would be very interested in that :-)

And thanks for the idea llynx. I don't think it will be easy to do though. If the song would be abstract, like the kind of sounds i'm using for the moment, the player would not have a clue what the 'right' combination is. But if I use simple pop/rock like songs they would not fit in with the rest of the concept. (And of course they would have to be quite popular to be known to most players and that would take me towards the neverending mazes of music copyright. I really want to avoid those :-)

@ IDO. Thanks. I think the floor material has too much reflection over there. If colours are too bright in general, perhaps you cranked up the blooming a bit much, in the graphic options panel?
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2011 01:14 PM by yvanvds.)
01-05-2011 01:06 PM
runewake2 Offline

Minecraft has little "point" to it's Pre-Alpha version and their are plenty of people that play it.

I think that if your going to sell this you would need a little more playability to it. Add objectives or something. Better yet make the game free and sell skins, sounds and more through an online store.

This is a great idea. Can't wait for you to finish it!
01-05-2011 05:11 PM
Driklyn Offline

The first time the crash occurred, it happened when I was editing a path. I believe I loaded the circle preset, added a few extra points to the path, then clicked on the 8 on the number pad (for whatever reason, not really sure what it did at the time), and then began to add even more points. I probably had like 14-18 points. At this time, I noticed that nothing was selected anymore (nothing was shown underneath selected on the GUI), so I decided to click the ball I previously had selected and it crashed.

Then, right after I reloaded the game, I decided to change my resolution and it crashed as soon as I clicked on 1680x1050.

And just now, it crashed again when I used Left CTRL + R to get transported out of the well and then, after walking around for a few seconds, zoomed all the way out on the minimap by pressing the + button several times.
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2011 06:21 PM by Driklyn.)
01-05-2011 06:20 PM
yvanvds Offline

Oh. I cannot recreate any of them. Added about 50 points to a path without a glitch. Although I spotted that the insert mode (to add points to the middle of a path, does not work.

Changing the resolution is supposed to be a very straightforward process:

PHP Code:
void cGraphicsWindow::resolutionFunc(Ptr) {

Int res = (*graphicsWindow.resolution)();
    if (
graphicsWindow.activeRes != res) {

graphicsWindow.activeRes res;

config.resolution graphicsWindow.resolutionElm[res].vec;

D.mode(config.resolution.xconfig.resolution.y);
    }

It's hard to do something wrong in there.

Also tried the minimap thing. Nothing wrong. Is it always after a few minutes of gameplay you get this? What if you just run it without doing anything? Would the game crash after a while? I'm just thinking it might be something unrelated to what you actually do.
01-05-2011 06:58 PM
Driklyn Offline

I'll test it out some more and get back to you once I have some news.
01-05-2011 08:19 PM
dominoe Offline

Just checked it out myself, its pretty cool considering how few 'playable' games people have up on these forums in the first place, so kudos for going through all the steps and actually pushing something out, pretty impressive.

Did you do the modeling yourself? I'm especially impressed by the modeling done for the subway - its nuanced, it feels right and incorporates different styles - however the texturing is off, way off in some areas on that model. Luckily thats a simple fix. I can help you if you wish.
01-06-2011 03:09 PM
Harry Offline

I downloaded it and I ust write that this is awesome smile World is very interesting and I like these green balls which is flying above the area. I don't play much with paths for balls, but it's interesting too.

I have only problem with graphic options. I set Detail to the lowest and then I can't set it to max again (nothing happens). I have some bugs with Bloom too.

And why the nearest teleport from the start point don't work (there isn't this yellow glow)?
01-06-2011 03:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
yvanvds Offline

Thanks again for the reactions.

@ dominoe: No, modeling is not really my area of expertise. I browsed a lot of website to find decent models: turbosquid, 3dwarehouse and 3dvia. And some of the plants are from the free resources Esenthel put on this website. In the end I did decide against most building models I could find. They were mostly not detailed enough, in contract with the detail of the rest of the world. That's why I just made some very crude black boxes with one texture. At least no one expects more detail from those :-)

About the subway model, it came without textures. I did the texturing myself, but a few months ago when I didn't really know a lot about it. I'll try to improve it myself first and if I don't get it any better I'll gladly hold you on your offer!

@ Harry. Good you pointed those things out. I must have erased the teleport somehow. About the graphic detail:

I turn out most lights except for the sun during daytime because they are not very visible anyway. It improves the framerate a lot. For the lowest graphics settings, I also fix the day/night cycle at midday. If you turn it up again, it starts running from there. So it does work, but night-time is over :-) But I can imagine it's confusing, so I'll make it better!

Bloom is very straightforward:

PHP Code:
void cGraphicsWindow::bloomFunc(Ptr) {

config.bloom = (*graphicsWindow.bloom)() * 2;

D.bloomScale(config.bloom);

So I just scale between 0 and 2. Don't know what can be wrong with that. What is it you saw?
01-06-2011 05:29 PM