About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Just started
genbatzu Offline

Just started
Hello Guys!

I just started my adventure in game programming. But don't worry, I'm not here to tell you that I will make the next über-MMO.

I am here, because I seek help in the very beginnings and would like to ask, if anyone can give me a brief overview over what i need to actually program an MMO and some links to good tutorials or books.

As said allready, I stand at the very beginning so every help and every tiny bit of usefull information is appreciated.

Thank you in advance! =)

kind regards
genbatzu ~
08-13-2011 01:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tottel Offline

RE: Just started
Hello and welcome! grin

Don't take this as an insult, but if you just start with game programming, don't even THINK about making an MMO. smile
If I were you, start with some basic 2D games (or 3D if you realllly want to). In any case, brush up your math skills and have a look at some C++ tutorials.

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

I hope that helps!
08-13-2011 02:14 PM
dylantan Offline

(08-13-2011 02:14 PM)Tottel Wrote:  Hello and welcome! grin

Don't take this as an insult, but if you just start with game programming, don't even THINK about making an MMO. smile
If I were you, start with some basic 2D games (or 3D if you realllly want to). In any case, brush up your math skills and have a look at some C++ tutorials.

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

I hope that helps!

Yeah I do agreed with what Tottel Saying. Its just tremendous amount of work and its not even funny. What I am worried is that if you choose to go to this route, you may end up being burned out and give up. Choose something simple to start and build up ur experience, skills and knowledge just like when u play MMO smile
08-15-2011 08:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
genbatzu Offline

thx for the beginners guide! ~
and sry for the late answer, but i was technically blind last week (eye laser surgery) ^^

I know that it's hard work and will be frustrating.
I think I'm prepared for a lot that can bring me down, so no worries here ;D

I allrdy have some basic experiences with programming, so it's not that new to me. but sadly i had to use pascal at school, pearl at my first job and C# in my current job >.<
With C++ i only have some experience in private use, many years ago, so I'll try that weblink from above~ *ty*

If you have any further advices, some DO's and DON'Ts of game programming. I would be pleased if you share them. wink

so long,

greetings from austria
genbatzu ~
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2011 09:00 AM by genbatzu.)
08-23-2011 08:59 AM
dylantan Offline

(08-23-2011 08:59 AM)genbatzu Wrote:  thx for the beginners guide! ~
and sry for the late answer, but i was technically blind last week (eye laser surgery) ^^

I know that it's hard work and will be frustrating.
I think I'm prepared for a lot that can bring me down, so no worries here ;D

I allrdy have some basic experiences with programming, so it's not that new to me. but sadly i had to use pascal at school, pearl at my first job and C# in my current job >.<
With C++ i only have some experience in private use, many years ago, so I'll try that weblink from above~ *ty*

If you have any further advices, some DO's and DON'Ts of game programming. I would be pleased if you share them. wink

so long,

greetings from austria
genbatzu ~

I doubt that would be enough for you to start working on MMO. But if you looking for the steps I could suggest as the following:

1. Planning. Plan what you want to do starting from what kind of game, the type of mechanics, the objective of the game, characters, the story (if needed) and put them all down into a document. You must do this if you want to make the game a reality as MMO is a huge under taking, and you cannot, and I repeat, you cannot do this alone. So you would need a team. The Game Planning documentation would help you to plan out what is needed, and if you have team member joining you, then you could delegate the job/task to him based on your planning. This is the most important part.

MMO have 2 main components: A client and A Server. A client would have a few things such as basic mechanics for the games, UI, Models, lite database and finally a network connector (to your server). On Server side, you will have the Server Mechanics, the Game Logics, the Database and Server network connector.

P/S: I am just simplifying things here. The actual process and structure are by far more complex even if you want to make a half decent game.

2. Getting the basic mechanics ready. Based on your plans and documentation, you would have a objective. With this objective you will know where to start and which area need more attention, other word area of focus, which you can do alot of research and study on the implementation which you can code them yourself.

Better example would be to buy Esenthel Indie License whereby you can gain access to Source Code of the Esenthel MMO, which another good way to start.
08-23-2011 09:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Damian Offline

First of all start making some easy games without any 2d/3d library. Just do a Tic Tac Toe game in pure c++.

And dont start programming 3d game without basic konwledge of 2d game structure. And 3d math wink
08-23-2011 01:17 PM