About Store Forum Documentation Contact

naked objects and labels in WE
rndbit Offline

naked objects and labels in WE
Naked objects
A situation: we want to define a certain area in the world and do special stuff there. Guess we can say we want a volumetric trigger. We can create a box in world editor, assign it custom type and upon creation of the box in game we would do certain desired things and remove box from the world.

A problem: box is not transparent. if we want to cover a n area of a decent size - box would just obscure everything within it in WE - not very practical.

A solution: if object was displayed in wireframe mode and was selectable only by clicking visible edges (or maybe label, see below). it would allow much wider customization of the world.

Labels
A situation: say we need to place spawnpoints in a map. We can surely do it by making a custom object and putting into the world. Upon creation object would place its position to some kind of spawnpoint list and delete itself from the world.

A problem: how do we tell such objects apart easily? each marker object could have a different mesh, or same mesh differently textured, but it is quite an overkill for just labeling something.

A solution: if it would be neat if it was possible to set a custom label for an object (much like GUI tooltips, except displayed when object is within a distance from a viewer).

And if we want to make everything perfect there could be menu options to show/hide naked objects and labels of the objects.

Or maybe i am so out there with these suggestions and there is another proper way to do described things? If so - could anyone let me know?
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2011 07:31 PM by rndbit.)
12-23-2011 07:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Demostenes Offline
Banned

RE: naked objects and labels in WE
Generally I am missing layers. If you can assign objects to layers and then just tell camera which layer render and which not, or even distance for rendering each layer, it can be used for lots of tricks.
12-23-2011 07:36 PM
rndbit Offline

RE: naked objects and labels in WE
or that yes. guess object grouping would be pretty much same too. imagine object explorer list where you can group objects, right click whole group and tick/untick 'hide' flag or something.

either way i intended my first post to describe things in a way that would possibly need least amount of work to implement (well initially it was much simpler, but while writing i realized couple of things that made me complicate description of things a little)
12-23-2011 08:48 PM