About Store Forum Documentation Contact

any RTS demo?
sivan Offline

any RTS demo?
Hi all!

I just started to test Esenthel engine as a possible future development tool, because apparently it has several great features. But what I really need and cannot find is a RTS or a similar styled demo project, having large open terrain with extensive vegetation and a lot of low poly moving characters (using terrain and model LOD), where I really can test Esenthel performance. I don't know sprite and model instancing is available or not in this engine. Of course, no source code is necessary...

I would be really happy if you could help. smile And why I need it:
Currently I'm using 3D Gamestudio (I started it a bit more than one year ago) for my RTS project under development. I'm really satisfied with its easy scripting, which was good as a start in 3D game development, performance is not bad (it runs on my old PC too grin ), but it has several limitations. E.g. I had to create my own WYSIWYG game editor because of my special requirements, for making a design time support to my pathfinding and AI system (you can check it at MapBuilder Editor ). I published its limited version for free, which is popular among newbies. There are also videos of the very first trials of my group order driven hierarchical pathfinder I'm improving at the moment. Since Lite-C has a C-like syntax, I could easily move the AI things to C++ or C#, if I get better and more flexible graphics options, and more features for less money...
04-13-2012 03:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
runewake2 Offline

RE: any RTS demo?
As far as I know no RTS has been made with Esenthel. That doesn't mean its not possible though.

Code for minimaps and navigation/pathfinding can be found in the tutorials (with source).

However if you plan on simply stepping into a big project such as an RTS you may want to reconsider. Unlike 3D GameMaker, Esenthel will not hold your hand.

You will have more luck if you start small and build up rather than the other way around. Scaling up is much easier than scaling down.
04-15-2012 07:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sivan Offline

RE: any RTS demo?
thanks, then I'll make some trials, it's always the best smile
I know RTS is not common in similar engines, and not supported because of the special requirements...
but since I'm making my own AI system (map decomposition, dynamic pathfinding for groups and units, group behaviour, decision making), I need only a proper engine with good graphics capabilities. I use currently the basic version of 3DGS, the commercial is not bad, but for instancing and GPU bones animation I should buy the pro which is too expensive. maybe I can get more for less money by Esenthel engine... I also tested Unity and Neoaxis, but they are not for my taste...
04-15-2012 10:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply