About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Light-Shadow Bug?
DoubleM Offline

Light-Shadow Bug?
I got a strange issue when using a constant camera position and direction and changing this so the camera looks down onto the scene.
I use this code
Code:
Cam.setPosDir(Vec(1.8f, 2.5f, -8.9f), !(Vec(-0.7f, 2.5f, -15.9f) - Vec(1.8f, 2.5f, -8.9f))).set();
This works perfectly for me. But if I change the position the camera looks at to Vec(-0.7f, 1.5f, -15.9f)
Code:
Cam.setPosDir(Vec(1.8f, 2.5f, -8.9f), !(Vec(-0.7f, 1.5f, -15.9f) - Vec(1.8f, 2.5f, -8.9f))).set();
(so it looks down) there's no lighting in the scene anymore (apart from ambient lighting) [and no shadows].
Anyone got an idea why? Thought this probably could be a bug.
Attached two screenshots so you can see what I'm talking about.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

04-28-2012 03:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Light-Shadow Bug?
Thank you!

This looks like a bug in 'setPosDir' which will be fixed in next SDK.

(BTW: cool grass, mind if I ask where did you get it from?)
04-30-2012 05:13 AM
DoubleM Offline

Hi
Sorry Esenthel, I have to wait for our leveldesigner to come back from vacation cause he created the grass. (As far as I know he partly created it himself und partly took it from ... (i don't know)). I'll have to ask him.

@Aceio76:
In the editor this scene (which by the way is quite small) runs with around 20 fps (in the cameraposition with the worst fps). But in this scene fps anyway is not so important because there's no real action.
The game itself in debug mode I believe has around ~30fps on my computer (which is not the worst...). This for a game surely is too low, especially because there's not yet much game mechanics implemented.
I don't think the grass is the key problem. If I remove all grass from the world the fps in the editor gets as high as 36, but that's still pretty low (altough i have to say all settings are on maximum). The rest of the objects are more of a problem I think (the grass just adds on the effect).
We're really hoping for Hardware Instancing and/or Occlusion Culling.
05-04-2012 01:47 PM
DoubleM Offline

Ok, our leveldesigner finally is back.
He got the grass from deviantART:
First Link
Second Link
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2012 12:02 PM by DoubleM.)
05-05-2012 11:53 AM