About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Esenthel Crash Bug After Crash
scotty1121 Offline

Esenthel Crash Bug After Crash
Good day, i am writing to inform esenthel and any other person who is using a processor with the worst x87 support ever (bulldozer fx 8120) to help find the root of these crashes i am getting, when i am in the world i will randomly crash, but if i go back to the same spot it will crash again and again, note that i could go over that area fine until i crashed. There is something severely wrong with either the FX 8120 processor. The fix that i tried which worked was replacing the whole edit folder with an older version (i loose a lot of data) even then if i crash again i have to repeat the process, this means that i get 0 productivity because i always loose my work.
Computer specs:
Crosshair IV formula
FX 8120 Processor (8 core 4c/4t)
Radeon 5770 Graphics card
8 gb ram

I think the issue is either poor support for my processor (because it has taken out a lot of x87 code/next to no support).

crash dump:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Editor 64.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 5044b73f
Fault Module Name: Editor 64.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 5044b73f
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000000000244c4d
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: e66c
Additional Information 2: e66c045a0357ebb0d0e12bcc755695b6
Additional Information 3: c661
Additional Information 4: c661a44de0571f9fec638e130489b9a0

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=1...cid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2012 06:26 PM by scotty1121.)
09-09-2012 06:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Esenthel Crash Bug After Crash
Hi,

Could you tell me if other Esenthel based apps work ok? (Esenthel RPG 2, Ineisis Online, Sci-Fi demo, etc.)
Do you experience problems in both 32 and 64-bit versions of the Editor?
What triggers the crashes? Some world area?
Does the same world area loads ok on other computers?
Do you have company license?
How big is your "Data" folder? in MB/GB
Is your system overclocked? Is cooling working ok?
09-09-2012 06:49 PM
scotty1121 Offline

Yes all other Esenthel based apps work. All versions of the editor including DX10 display this behaviour 32, 64 you name it. You will randomly crash in an area, you get lag type symptoms and then just crashes (loading area blocks (files) i presume). The thing that triggers the crashes is a world area that you crashed in, you can crash in a random part of the map, and you will not be able to go there any more. I have the company licence, the data folder for our game is 3.58 GB

My system is not overclocked at all, it's all new, 43 Celsius on all cores.

no other member in my team gets these crashes until mine crashes.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2012 07:16 PM by scotty1121.)
09-09-2012 06:53 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Could you try updating system drivers? (windows updates, gpu drivers, find if there are any patches for your CPU/motherboard)

If you have company license, you can compile it in debug mode, load your world, then once crash happens, attach the call stack, and position (line of code) of the crash.

Is there anything specific in the world area that causes the crash?

So the crash is specific only to your system? (since all other team members don't have this problem)

Do you have any other problems (other apps crashing) with your CPU/system besides these crashes? Since how long do you have this computer?
09-09-2012 08:51 PM
scotty1121 Offline

All my drivers are up to date, nothing specific in the world area causes the crash, it's when loading area pieces of the map i think. (i'll run it in debug mode when i wake in the morning). the crash is not specific to my system, but if it crashes on my system it will make that area inaccessible to everyone. Everyone experiences these crashes randomly in my team, but if it's me it will totally render all my work since my last backup worthless (because i have to replace it all). i've only had the processor for a few weeks. Nothing else is wrong, i heard that this processor is missing many instruction sets present in current x86 processors such as x87 support legacy support etc.
09-09-2012 08:55 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

There could be many things that are causing the issue:
1) bug in the engine
2) faulty ram
3) faulty cpu
4) faulty hdd (it wrote corrupt data to some area)
Screen from the debug editor will be helpful, thanks

also did you have always enough free space in your disk when editing worlds?
09-09-2012 09:03 PM
scotty1121 Offline

(09-09-2012 09:03 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  There could be many things that are causing the issue:
1) bug in the engine
2) faulty ram
3) faulty cpu
4) faulty hdd (it wrote corrupt data to some area)
Screen from the debug editor will be helpful, thanks

also did you have always enough free space in your disk when editing worlds?

I am 100% sure it's not option 2 or 3, i've run many tests on both to ensure it's not that.
I always have at least 70 GB free when editing my worlds.
I've reinstalled esenthel and redownloaded to a different hard drive (option 4 out of the way).
I should note that the only variable in my system that has changed is my processor.
I'll debug it when i wake up in around 9-12 hours.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2012 09:22 PM by scotty1121.)
09-09-2012 09:17 PM
scotty1121 Offline

> ntdll.dll!77c915de()
[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for ntdll.dll]
ntdll.dll!77c915de()
ntdll.dll!77c8014e()
Tutorials.exe!01241c83()

'Tutorials.exe': Loaded 'C:\EEsenthe\Tutorials\Tutorials.exe', Binary was not built with debug information.
First-chance exception at 0x00000000 in Tutorials.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation.
First-chance exception at 0x00000000 in Tutorials.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation.
First-chance exception at 0x0137ac1f in Tutorials.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xababab93.
First-chance exception at 0x0137ac1f in Tutorials.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xababab93.
First-chance exception at 0x013cd799 in Tutorials.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xabababf3.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2012 08:35 PM by scotty1121.)
09-10-2012 12:02 PM
Rubeus Offline

0xC0000005 is usually a hardware issue. I get them occassionally when I run a program that tries to get the number of available cores on my 32 core workstation. I don't believe your's is caused by the same thing, though(but you could try limiting the affinity of the app to only use 4 cores or so just to test). Have you tried updating to the latest BIOS your system supports?
09-10-2012 11:05 PM
scotty1121 Offline

(09-10-2012 11:05 PM)Rubeus Wrote:  0xC0000005 is usually a hardware issue. I get them occassionally when I run a program that tries to get the number of available cores on my 32 core workstation. I don't believe your's is caused by the same thing, though(but you could try limiting the affinity of the app to only use 4 cores or so just to test). Have you tried updating to the latest BIOS your system supports?

yes im using the latest beta bios (only bios that supports this processor)
I am 100% sure it's because the bulldozer processor is so different.
Changing the affinity wont help because bulldozer cores are in modules 2 cores are actually 1 core 1 thread, and they need to be treated as 2 cores. when in reality it acts like 4 cores 4 threads x87 was mostly removed from the processors as well as some other instruction sets.

I sent a PM to esenthel too with the video
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2012 09:49 AM by scotty1121.)
09-11-2012 07:44 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi,

Thanks for the video. The callstack "ntdll.dll!77c8014e()" does not give me any info.
"Binary was not built with debug information."
Are you sure you've compiled the editor in Debug mode? in the video I see "Release" in the config ComboBox.

Also when first error occurs, please don't press continue, but break button.

On the video I see that you've moved quite some time until the crash happened, my question is does the crash happen all the time at certain location? (world area), or randomly at any place in the world?

What would be helpful is to get Disassembly, Thread List, and Call stack for each thread that is not named "Win32 Thread", like this:

Attached File(s) Image(s)

09-11-2012 12:18 PM
scotty1121 Offline

(09-11-2012 12:18 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  Hi,

Thanks for the video. The callstack "ntdll.dll!77c8014e()" does not give me any info.
"Binary was not built with debug information."
Are you sure you've compiled the editor in Debug mode? in the video I see "Release" in the config ComboBox.

Also when first error occurs, please don't press continue, but break button.

On the video I see that you've moved quite some time until the crash happened, my question is does the crash happen all the time at certain location? (world area), or randomly at any place in the world?

What would be helpful is to get Disassembly, Thread List, and Call stack for each thread that is not named "Win32 Thread", like this:
It only happens in that area when i changed the heightmap, it can happen anywhere as long as the heightmap has been changed, and the world saved. if i add objects it wouldn't do that no matter how many i put, it seems to only be the heightmap. changing that causes it I have sent you another video, as i said i can change the heightmap in another area very drastically and experience the same issue. I sent you another Video
call stacks are in the dropdown called "stack frames" can't restore my call stack window. The binary never builds with debug information even if i click debug ( i built with debug this time)
Video in your inbox

I can always replicate the crash in any area, it just takes time to replicate it.
EDIT: i also showed which dlls had an exclamation mark next to them.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2012 01:20 PM by scotty1121.)
09-11-2012 01:08 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Thank you for the video, the crash happened on thread which had ID 9724, but on the video you didn't include the callstack of that thread (callstack is the most important).
I'd need to see that callstack (as many callstacks from all EE threads).

Alternative option is if you'd have your whole Data folder synced with Data Server, and then provided me the Data Server address, user and password, I could download the game data, and try to reproduce the issue on my computer.

But maybe let's try this first:
can you make smallest world possible, make the heightmap change that would trigger the crashes, and then send me that compressed world folder.
09-11-2012 07:09 PM
scotty1121 Offline

all call stacks are here: I will try to replicate the crash in another world but none of the other worlds used heightmap images that i did with this world (made myself).

http://youtu.be/h-BbBP72-X8

EDIT:
tried to replicate the issue on a smaller map, couldn't do it, just wont crash it :/
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2012 08:23 PM by scotty1121.)
09-11-2012 07:24 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

cool, what about the disassembly in 'setShader' func? (the last EE function in which crash happens)

in few moments I'll send you test version of the Editor
09-11-2012 08:33 PM