About Store Forum Documentation Contact
Donations:
225$/mo

The Kingdom Of Soul
Rofar Offline

RE: The Kingdom Of Soul
Good to see you back to working on your project Pixel Perfect! I'm simply a lurker around here now since I have other projects I have to spend my time on that are using other engines. Esenthel is still my favorite engine but I just don't have the time to work on anything with it anymore. Maybe one of these days I will.
11-18-2019 10:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

Hi Rofar, good to see you are still around too, even if your not working with Esenthel at the moment. It's great after all this time to still see some familiar faces. Hope you are enjoying the projects you are working on.

It feels good to be back even if I'm not actually doing any work on my project as yet, more re-familiarizing myself with how far I had got in terms of working functionality, what still needs to be done and how that can be best achieved.

Fortunately I documented my development well in a separate document, which is helping provide a fairly quick high level overview of the functionality I already have and how to use it after all these years of not touching it. It feels exciting getting back into it.

For a change, I did spend today perfecting a pipeline for iClone models with facial animation, including phonemes, into Esenthel. That seems to be working nicely. I now have the choice of creating the speech animation directly within iClone and exporting that to Esenthel or simply using my old established technique of driving the speech directly from my code using the phoneme frames. Always nice to have a few solutions!

It has reminded me of just how game development eats into our available time though!

Hope to see you around and good luck with your own projects.
11-19-2019 10:23 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

OK, after much deliberation the decision is made based on the following:

• Replacing the EkiOne AI engine, which is no longer compatible with the current version of Esenthel, is currently not possible as there is nothing comparable on the market that could replace it without a huge financial layout.
  • The engine is currently so embedded in my game code that to take that out and write my own AI code would not only take a considerable amount of work but would also undoubtedly severely degrade the quality of the envisaged final AI, as I am not going to be able to replace the considerable functionality and tools available in the AI engine.
  • The AI is more important to my project than the additional features/fixes in the current game engine, as welcome as those are.
  • The version I am currently using is more than sufficient to complete the initial planned level of the game.
  • The absence of support for the version I'm using is of less concern as this is not a commercial project and most of the functionality I need has already been at least tried and tested.

So I will continue and move forwards with what I currently have.

I have spent the last two weeks exploring the AI engine in depth and have gained a far deeper understanding than I previously had. It's a travesty that the finance was pulled from the company as the underlying design is superb, the tools brilliantly implemented and the product was so close to completion.

I look forward to hopefully demonstrating just how powerful the combination of Esenthel and EkiOne can be, sobeit using a somewhat outdated version of Esenthel.
12-10-2019 01:06 AM
Zervox Offline

(12-10-2019 01:06 AM)Pixel Perfect Wrote:  OK, after much deliberation the decision is made based on the following:

• Replacing the EkiOne AI engine, which is no longer compatible with the current version of Esenthel, is currently not possible as there is nothing comparable on the market that could replace it without a huge financial layout.
  • The engine is currently so embedded in my game code that to take that out and write my own AI code would not only take a considerable amount of work but would also undoubtedly severely degrade the quality of the envisaged final AI, as I am not going to be able to replace the considerable functionality and tools available in the AI engine.
  • The AI is more important to my project than the additional features/fixes in the current game engine, as welcome as those are.
  • The version I am currently using is more than sufficient to complete the initial planned level of the game.
  • The absence of support for the version I'm using is of less concern as this is not a commercial project and most of the functionality I need has already been at least tried and tested.

So I will continue and move forwards with what I currently have.

I have spent the last two weeks exploring the AI engine in depth and have gained a far deeper understanding than I previously had. It's a travesty that the finance was pulled from the company as the underlying design is superb, the tools brilliantly implemented and the product was so close to completion.

I look forward to hopefully demonstrating just how powerful the combination of Esenthel and EkiOne can be, sobeit using a somewhat outdated version of Esenthel.

it's always sad to see really good middleware disappearing(I also often do not like powerhouses like Autodesk or Adobe buying up everything everywhere as they are not always interested in maintaining them or they change them or they split the middleware into multiple products in which you need to pay 3 times more for because they are charging the old price for each and everyone of the split product packages, or they start drowning them into sub categories which requires you to get their entire suite of tools to get ahold of, or they buy them up then they disappear into oblivion never to be seen again)
12-11-2019 02:02 AM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Hi Zervox, good to see you too, it's been a while!

It is sad. It seems that bigger companies often acquire smaller companies because they perceive them as a long term threat to their own business or simply to bring the talent into their own organisation and apply it to suit their own goals. It often results in promising products never seeing the light of day and is certainly a lesson to anyone considering the support of Venture Capitalists, who can turn on you when you least expect it and sell you off to the highest bidder!

It's a dog eat dog world out there and unfortunately, it's often the highly innovative solutions that are seen as the most threatening and fall prey to this, or as you illustrate, are monetized to the max by the new owners, with us the consumers being the end losers.
12-12-2019 12:14 AM
Pixel Perfect Offline

I now have a fully working Editor again having manually rebuilt all the projects in Visual Studio 2008 and made the necessary modifications to the Editor code. This is based on the source code I had kept from my initial year's subscription following the end of version 2.0, so has minimal changes.

This now at least allows me to continue the project which would otherwise have pretty much proved impossible with the Editor locked in demo mode following the removal of the Licence authentication service from the Esenthel server.

Otherwise I'm deep into planning the Ambient AI for the Village scene, which is also going to result in a massive model, prop and animation workload to compliment it. Should keep me pretty quiet through these winter months smile
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2019 02:34 PM by Pixel Perfect.)
12-22-2019 12:18 PM
Zervox Offline

Well done! smile
12-24-2019 05:14 AM