About Store Forum Documentation Contact

The Kingdom Of Soul
Pixel Perfect Offline

RE: The Kingdom Of Soul
Infinitely slow to load. The executable was taking a constant 25% of cpu but seemingly stuck loading the level. It never made it into the Update proc and there would be no sign of disk I/O. It worked fine in release mode every time.

The weird thing is I've come to run it again this evening and it's working fine again in both modes and I've made no changes. Very strange! I've never seen this before so maybe my PC had just got itself into some funny state.
05-27-2014 10:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

Been working on the day night cycle this evening.

Sunrise:

05-28-2014 12:15 AM
georgatos7 Offline

Awesome!
I really liked the gradual change of the sky color.
Infact i didn't know that it can be that good since i haven't tried something like it.

What i suggest as a small adition is a bit of colored ambient during the change (especialy dawn) and a less defined sun and the scene is perfect.

Edit: Damn, those birds flying during the morning look amazing.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2014 02:12 AM by georgatos7.)
05-28-2014 02:09 AM
Zervox Offline

(05-27-2014 10:24 PM)Pixel Perfect Wrote:  Infinitely slow to load. The executable was taking a constant 25% of cpu but seemingly stuck loading the level. It never made it into the Update proc and there would be no sign of disk I/O. It worked fine in release mode every time.

The weird thing is I've come to run it again this evening and it's working fine again in both modes and I've made no changes. Very strange! I've never seen this before so maybe my PC had just got itself into some funny state.

Depends, I've seen similar behaviour at times, running debug.exe directly works fine, running debug within Visual Studio would make it load for a long time, you most likely will notice the process is loading memory at ~300KB steps.

if you ever get it again you can try
Quote:Control Panel->System Properties->Advanced System Settings->Environment Variables->System
and add
Quote:_NO_DEBUG_HEAP
with a value of 1

Nice progress btw since last I looked in here smile
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2014 08:01 AM by Zervox.)
05-28-2014 07:34 AM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Thanks for your input and comments Zervox it's appreciated. I'll certainly try that if it re-occurs in the future. I did try running the debug executable directly and it exhibited the same issues.

(05-28-2014 02:09 AM)georgatos7 Wrote:  What i suggest as a small adition is a bit of colored ambient during the change (especialy dawn) and a less defined sun and the scene is perfect.

Agreed, there is still some refining work to be done and the slightly coloured ambient would enhance the effect nicely. Thanks for the feedback smile
05-28-2014 08:50 AM
joacorock Offline

(05-28-2014 12:15 AM)Pixel Perfect Wrote:  Been working on the day night cycle this evening.

Sunrise:

Just as a really small Tip, there are not many birds that sing over the night, it will bring more realism to your game.
05-29-2014 06:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

(05-29-2014 06:16 PM)joacorock Wrote:  Just as a really small Tip, there are not many birds that sing over the night, it will bring more realism to your game.

I don't think they are supposed to be birds, but rather some sort of critter! It was taken from a royalty free sound effects pack I have and entitled night.wav. Here is a similar sounding night recording: Tropical Night

Perhaps not the best recording and maybe not that fitting for a more temperate scene but I'll not be spending any real money on quality sound effects unless the game is pretty much complete and I'm seriously considering publishing it. Thanks for the tip anyhow!
05-29-2014 09:31 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Still working at getting the frame rate up for this level of vegetation but it's getting there. I'm averaging between
30 and 40 fps at the moment which I consider just about acceptable, though not ideal. Running Fraps has knocked
that down a bit when recording this video:

[EDIT] I have the frame rate up to a min of about 40FPS now thanks to some advice from Para. Many thanks!
Have also implemented much nicer lighting on the tree foliage.

Nav mesh regenerated to take in the woods. Ready for some ambient wildlife to be coded:

[EDIT2]

Basic animal AI now in place, working on extending this to provide more complex and realistic behaviour

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2014 11:09 AM by Pixel Perfect.)
05-30-2014 01:41 AM
Pixel Perfect Offline

(This post was last modified: 07-27-2014 12:04 PM by Pixel Perfect.)
06-22-2014 08:51 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Work continues with the introduction of a First Person Perspective Player (third person is supported too for cut scene purposes).
I'm currently looking at porting my previous spell casting system and configurable user input system.

07-27-2014 12:06 PM
Koniu Offline

Are you creating your own character system or using default EE fpp?
I remember when I was creating my game in fpp and there were many problems with animations contain animations for two hands (like: using shotgun; i couldn't set hands with gun to center camera when i looked up or down.) and Im interested how you solve these isues

Btw Amazing screen, I do love your project !
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2014 09:43 PM by Koniu.)
07-28-2014 09:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

Many thanks Koniu smile

In answer to your question on the character system, yes I'm using my own. I decided right at the beginning of my development there were some things I wanted full control over and this was one of them.

To get the first person system working I've combined a full model and the fp animated arms into the same model with separate meshes and assigned draw groups to those so I can display just the animated arms when in first person mode and hide those and display the full model when doing scripted scenes (with an independent camera) under the control of the AI engine.

The camera is fixed to a position on the head of the skeleton in fp mode and the skeleton is rotated to match the horizontal and vertical movement. As a result the arms move up and down in sync with the camera. All animation being relative to this position.

[Edit] 11/10/2014
I've been unable to do much development work at all in the last few months but have started again recently looking at improving my animation routines and extending lip syncing to more of my game NPC models.

I have also been working on water within the game and have just added my first waterfall:

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2014 09:15 PM by Pixel Perfect.)
07-29-2014 09:44 AM
Pixel Perfect Offline

As I mentioned above, after months of not being able to work much on my project I'm actively back
on it again and currently assembling assets (NPCs and static props) to populate my test level.

The next level of development will hopefully see a living breathing village full of life and interaction
ready for the introduction of the first game play logic. This is the phase I'm really looking forward
to.

In the meantime here is a screenshot of the village now I've added some crops within the fortified walls:

and a blacksmiths:

(This post was last modified: 11-09-2014 05:03 PM by Pixel Perfect.)
11-02-2014 08:18 PM
Ozmodian Offline

Looking great! Glad you are able to spend time on it again!
11-02-2014 09:33 PM
RedOcktober Offline

continues to impress...

--Mike
11-03-2014 10:56 PM