About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Installer Virtual Memory Crash
EthanC Offline

Installer Virtual Memory Crash
Trying to run the installer, every single time it goes through the process of "downloading files" all the way to 100% then crashes with:

Can't allocate 536 870 912 bytes of memory.

I have my page file set at 10gb and it still happens. I'm running Windows 7 ultimate with 8gb of DDR3 and 1tb of free HD space roughly. It's a good computer, there's no reason this should be happening.

I should point out that the uploader crashes half the time also with the same error and i've noticed it using over 2.8gb of memory just before it crashes out.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2013 11:18 AM by EthanC.)
07-23-2013 10:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zervox Offline

RE: Installer Virtual Memory Crash
Wow, that is alot of memory used.
07-23-2013 11:44 AM
JonathonA Offline

Why's it a lot of memory? That's around 512 megabytes?
07-23-2013 09:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zervox Offline

2.8GB before it crashes,that suggests it doesn't empty the memory stored files to disk before moving onto the next download. Meaning the next download which is 536mb exceeds the memory available. Thus the out of memory crash.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2013 09:27 PM by Zervox.)
07-23-2013 09:25 PM
EthanC Offline

There aren't many files since the data.pak that contains the data folder is typically 1.5gb. I can reasonably assume that someone has made a game with a data pak larger than that (because that's only one area and not the full game) right?
07-23-2013 09:31 PM
Zervox Offline

You can split it up.
07-23-2013 09:45 PM
jagatai Offline

(07-23-2013 09:31 PM)EthanC Wrote:  There aren't many files since the data.pak that contains the data folder is typically 1.5gb. I can reasonably assume though that, although few people use this engine, someone has made a game with a data pak larger than that (because that's only one area and not the full game) right?

although the ineisis installer is nice, its really a template to use as a how-to, we have written our own in order to cater to our needs. that being said i would suggest to serialize and break down elements that need to be updated/purged in chunks to reduce memory.
07-24-2013 04:15 PM
Rubeus Offline

This message is typically caused by the compression library Esenthel uses. From what I've seen, however, it shouldn't be happening on 64-bit. 32 bit has a 2.x GB memory limit per application.
07-24-2013 09:08 PM
EthanC Offline

(07-24-2013 09:08 PM)Rubeus Wrote:  This message is typically caused by the compression library Esenthel uses. From what I've seen, however, it shouldn't be happening on 64-bit. 32 bit has a 2.x GB memory limit per application.

There are virtually no similarities between my and Jons situations with regards to computers. He's in England, i'm in the USA, he's using windows 8, i'm on 7 64-bit. The only commonality is the size of the data.pak and the fact we're both using the ineisis uploader and yet we're getting the same crash.
07-24-2013 09:34 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Could you let me know the size of the biggest file that you're trying to upload?
You can test it by typing * in the search box of the data path folder in windows explorer and sort by file size.
If you're trying to upload the whole pak please don't do it.
Please upload the folder which has files stored separately and not packed yet
08-12-2013 08:24 AM
candam Offline

(08-12-2013 08:24 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  Could you let me know the size of the biggest file that you're trying to upload?
You can test it by typing * in the search box of the data path folder in windows explorer and sort by file size.
Welcome back Mr.Greg really pleased to see you backsmile
08-12-2013 10:39 AM
EthanC Offline

(08-12-2013 08:24 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  Could you let me know the size of the biggest file that you're trying to upload?

(07-23-2013 09:31 PM)EthanC Wrote:  There aren't many files since the data.pak that contains the data folder is typically 1.5gb. I can reasonably assume that someone has made a game with a data pak larger than that (because that's only one area and not the full game) right?
08-12-2013 10:46 PM