About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Actor Shape/scale
Rubeus Offline

Actor Shape/scale
Is it possible to somehow change the scale of the actor or the shape? It seems to be possible in PhysX, but it seems the engine only accepts normalized matrices and returns const references to the shape.

This is my situation:
I have a sphere. At each vert, I have a physics volume to detect collisions. That volume is connected to the vert and allows me to deform the sphere when hit.
I then enlarge the sphere-it's a core mechanic of my game. The volumes that did cover the sphere no longer are large enough and create gaps between verts. I can only double the number of verts so many times before performance is no longer acceptable.
Ideally, I'd like to be able to scale the collision volume with the radius of the circle, ensuring there are no gaps between volumes.

Is this possible? I'm hoping I'm just missing something obvious.
08-28-2013 11:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Actor Shape/scale
Quote:It seems to be possible in PhysX
Why do you think like that? If I remember correctly, you can only select the scale at actor creation. Please correct me if I am wrong.
09-02-2013 06:34 AM
Zervox Offline

I believe Esenthel is correct in this, you would have to destroy and recreate the actor.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2013 04:35 PM by Zervox.)
09-03-2013 04:33 PM
Rubeus Offline

Ah, I saw a few things online alluding to scaling, but if this is the case.... curses. I could have been looking at something else. Thanks for the replies.
09-03-2013 05:03 PM
Zervox Offline

We could be wrong of course, wouldn't hurt linking these articles if you come by them again.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2013 05:28 PM by Zervox.)
09-03-2013 05:28 PM
Rubeus Offline

The more I look into it, the more it seems you are right. I think the things I thought I saw were in reference to other parts. I'm guessing I'm just going to have to copy the actor's pos/vel, remove it, recreate it a bit bigger/smaller, then apply the pos/vel. I don't like doing it, but I can't think of anything else. I really hadn't anticipated the lack of scale in PhysX. :-/
09-04-2013 01:52 AM