About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Using Code Editor Control
fatcoder Offline

Using Code Editor Control
Quite sometime ago now (before EE had the code editor), I wrote a text editor control (with syntax highlighting and such) similar to the built-in code editor in EE. I was using it for editing and debugging scripts at runtime. Fast forward a few years and I'm planning on using this scripting again in a different project. My decision now is, do I dig up my old script editor control and breathe life back into it, or do I use the code editor control in the EE source and adapt it to my needs?

So I guess my real question is; is the code editor built into EE useable outside of the EE editor as a stand-alone control? Would it be possible for me (with a little bit of work of course) to adapt it to use as a runtime script editor/debugger for my scripting language, or would there be far too much work involved? i.e. is the code editor control tightly coupled to EE that would require far too much work to port it out to use in a project.
11-16-2014 03:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Using Code Editor Control
Hello,

Code Editor is integrated into the Editor, I believe it would require bit of work to use it for other things.
11-16-2014 03:52 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Using Code Editor Control
The recommended way for using custom scripts for games, would be to use Code Editor as it is, in the Editor, however add a new project element type "Script" which would be used by your game.
11-16-2014 04:16 AM