About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Debug and Accurate Transforms
Ioannis Offline

Debug and Accurate Transforms
A few more beginner's questions smile

- What's the best way to draw some debug text and numbers on the screen?
Tried D.text() but apparently that can't take any non-string variables and also it doesn't seem to be working outside of the draw function.

- Is there an accurate way to transform the individual components in the object editor. For example, I'm building this custom First Person kind of character and I need to make sure that the slot that I'm attaching the camera is facing the forward direction. Is there some way to enter some angle values in the editor?

- Last but not least. Is there an official Discord server or something for instant information exchange?
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2020 11:37 PM by Ioannis.)
03-30-2020 11:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RedcrowProd Offline

RE: Debug and Accurate Transforms
if you are running GUI sometime i like to use the gui.msgbox(S, S+YourString+YourNumber);
else D.text() under drawing is a good way, you can always S+ so make anything a string, so you can draw number without any issue.
Last resort you can use logname("yourlognamefile") logN(S+yourlog). This will create log as a txt file under your project folder, this is useful if things crashes as well as it is not shown under the app)

when you go under the "Object" you can have your transform, and rotate Y.
when you add slot, if you select the slot, you can use the rotate tool, then use the arrow down options, and go Rotate+Y and you should be able to rotate at 90d angle, other than that, its possible to get the obj and the slot, and make it face any direction you want in code.
not sure if i have answered you there. let me know if you need more help

there was some unofficial discord being run, but it always was kind of dead / people expect you to build code for them.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2020 03:14 PM by RedcrowProd.)
03-31-2020 01:09 AM
Ioannis Offline

Thank you very much!

- As much as I love the engine's workflow I'm somewhat disappointed by the coding process. I mean, in general, there are major issues with the code structure and readability (like D.mode(1280, 720); where "D" to a newcomer means absolutely nothing while "mode" has nothing to do with resolution and the code is full of examples like this) but not having a dedicated debug system that can be accessed from anywhere is just so counterproductive. I think I'm not ready to quit yet though. I'll set up a basic debug console hoping that it'll help me make some sense out of the engine's game structure.

- That's great I didn't notice the "Rotate+" options. This is very useful. A way to edit this with digits sounds essential though so I hope to see it sometime in the future.

- Found the server.

Thanks again for all the info!
03-31-2020 09:35 PM
RedcrowProd Offline

yes to get into, some of the naming is a bit odd, but it gets clearer wtih time as you use classes
The D is for drawing wink

i mostly spend time during my break at work just browsing https://www.esenthel.com/?id=doc#Welcome with the API.

since then the open source helps a lot with some of the background things that happens

Browsing tutorial is a great way to see how everything works, especially states, which are amazing in my taste
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2020 02:27 AM by RedcrowProd.)
04-01-2020 02:22 AM
Lancer Offline

You can enable console with
Code:
LogConsole(true); // open console for logging - Windows only
inside "InitPre()"

and use "LogN("Text")" or "LogN(S + "Text " + int)
04-01-2020 08:58 AM
Ioannis Offline

(04-01-2020 08:58 AM)Lancer Wrote:  You can enable console with
Code:
LogConsole(true); // open console for logging - Windows only
inside "InitPre()"
and use "LogN("Text")" or "LogN(S + "Text " + int)

Oh, I had no idea about this! That's great! It will definitely save me some serious time! Thanks a lot!

(04-01-2020 02:22 AM)RedcrowProd Wrote:  i mostly spend time during my break at work just browsing https://www.esenthel.com/?id=doc#Welcome with the API.

I've been keeping the engine's source on my second screen but yes, it's probably a better idea to check through the API instead of aimlessly digging around the source.

Cheers!
04-01-2020 09:49 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

(03-31-2020 09:35 PM)Ioannis Wrote:  where "D" to a newcomer means absolutely nothing while "mode" has nothing to do with resolution
"D" is Display.
I'm not aware of ability to make a secondary longer alias, see:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6103...of-a-class

And "mode" is display mode. Yes it has a lot to do with the resolution.
04-05-2020 04:01 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Here you go:
https://github.com/Esenthel/EsenthelEngi...f4771b7ed6
You can now use either 'D', 'Display', 'Kb', 'Keyboard', 'Ms', 'Mouse'
They will all work the same.
04-05-2020 04:00 PM
Ioannis Offline

Wow, now that's quick support grin
Thank you. I'm sure this will be very helpful for other newcomers too.
04-05-2020 06:43 PM