About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Maya import problem.
gdalex Offline

RE: Maya import problem.
Okay, that's great I'll wait before restarting my animation cycles with a new skeleton... I hope you'll find something to avoid it smile

I have a non-related question: would it be possible to have somewhere a pre-delivery changelog about the subject you are currently working on ? Not necessarily as precise as the update topic you usually feed, but at least the kind of subjects listed on the global roadmap ?
That would be helpful to converge my dev with yours.
08-21-2013 01:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gdalex Offline

I've created a new male model, and a new skeleton in Maya... And the result is better, yet not perfect.
My bones are still all "x-aligned"... Which makes the creation of a ragdoll complicated.
Would it be difficult for you, Esenthel to allow the orientation of the ragdoll capsule associated to a bone ?
It is already possible to resize and translate, but not re-orient. Is there a reason for that ?
08-28-2013 07:37 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hello!

I've tried importing your FBX file, using latest official FBX SDK from Autodesk (FBX SDK 2014.1 VS 2008 - http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/...d=10775847 ), and it does not display properly there.

I can't make any tests with it, could you please attach a different file that would load correctly?

Attached File(s) Image(s)

09-13-2013 08:30 AM
gdalex Offline

It seems that Maya bone system isn't that much reliable...
I have a new workflow to create a character :
- Modeling in Maya
- Skeleton in Blender
- Skinning in Maya
- Animation in Maya

It's a bit complicated, I agree, yet it provides good result in Esenthel...
I think you can give up this subject, because you can't fix Autodesk SDK anyway smile
And you have quite a long roadmap in progress... I prefer changing my workflow than getting you stuck on this problem instead of providing us the features we need (like the multi material pfft)
09-13-2013 02:15 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi,

I've been playing with joints in Maya, and to my understanding it only draws the connection between parent->child so it appears that the joint is oriented correctly, however that's not the orientation of each joint, it's only a line between two joints.
What you actually want, is to setup each joint so that its red axis line (in Maya) will point towards the bone.
You can adjust the
"Transform Attributes\Rotate"
and
"Joint\Joint Orient"
values

Current way of importing joints in EE is correct, the issue is that Maya has the joints orientation simply messed up.
09-17-2013 07:03 AM
gdalex Offline

Okay, thanks for looking at it.
I'll see if there's a way to add this orientation after the animation process without loosing the already created cycles. This could be useful for a few graphists out there smile
09-17-2013 09:35 AM
relih Offline

i've the same problem, and i try to export into 3ds max, blender, maya and collada.
im wasted a lot of time trying to make work bones, recently i stop my proyect, and thinking to change engine becouse its not very permissive

[Image: 140529070710528911.png]

really, you need to fix it into engine Esenthel, becouse its demand a lot of time correct the model bone skeleton. or back the old editor of las ee version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyGycUhDnQc
05-29-2014 06:02 AM
Dwight Offline

We used 3D Studio Max's Biped together with some custom scripts to rename the bones, and for us, all is working perfectly fine.

I released a script in the appropriate section that allows for easy exporting with the correct settings for models and their animations. Just make sure it is skinned correctly, and the tool will do the rest for you smile

When using multiple modelling applications, of course there is a chance that when you export and import and export and import and export and import that "somewhere" it will mess up. My advice would be to just do everything in 3D Studio Max and export once from there.
05-29-2014 12:16 PM
para Offline

This is one issue I experience all the time.. whenever I import a character model from arteria, dexsoft or turbosquid, most likely the bones orientation and size are off or the animation is all mangled up, and I seem to be unable to re-orient the bones without breaking the animation.. I have access to EE 1.0, Blender, Fragmotion and sometimes 3dsmax (at work), if someone has any helpful tips for either of these programs or knows of some others, I'd be very happy to hear them.
05-29-2014 04:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hello,

This is how the bones are actually oriented in your original software.

There's no bug in EE importer - it works correctly.

The animations will still work.
05-29-2014 09:51 PM
Rofar Offline

(05-29-2014 04:26 PM)para Wrote:  This is one issue I experience all the time.. whenever I import a character model from arteria, dexsoft or turbosquid, most likely the bones orientation and size are off or the animation is all mangled up, and I seem to be unable to re-orient the bones without breaking the animation.. I have access to EE 1.0, Blender, Fragmotion and sometimes 3dsmax (at work), if someone has any helpful tips for either of these programs or knows of some others, I'd be very happy to hear them.

I have not had an issue with arteria or dexsoft models. I first load into Fragmotion (for arteria models I load the X version into fragmotion), then typically I will do some cleanup there (remove unnecessary bones, rename bones, etc), then export to ms3d format and import that into EE.
05-29-2014 10:12 PM